Perfect for coming home to after a chilly winter day, this is the type of dish where you cook a huge batch and enjoy the spoils for days on end, OR, dish it up in appropriate serving sizes and toss in the freezer. This is my version of ‘fast food’ – for those nights when you really don’t feel like cooking, simply defrost and enjoy. This dish is purely vegetarian but it’s hearty enough that even the most die-hard meat eater in your life won’t complain.
Spicy Kidney Bean Chili
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2+ cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1 can kidney beans (or black beans)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Serve with your choice of grain
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic, and spices and let fry for a couple of minutes. Stirring occasionally until the spices smell fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, water, sweet potato, and cocoa powder and cook for 15 minutes or so. Stir frequently.
- After sweet potatoes have softened, add the kidney beans and cook for 5 minutes further until well combined and hot. Stir in fresh cilantro. Serve with your choice of rice, millet or quinoa and top with avocado slices.