Yeah, I kind of had to make another dish with rhubarb. I may be obsessed. I was silly to doubt the power of a classic combination like rhubarb and strawberries. It really is a perfect balance of sweet and tart.
This simply delicious and easy recipe makes the perfect addition for breakfast or brunch on oatmeal, pancakes,waffles or toast. I can also say that the compote is great eaten by the spoonful, straight from the fridge or as an afternoon snack. I imagine it would also be delicious spooned onto a freshly baked dessert. Lovely.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup honey (or for vegans who don’t eat honey, any other liquid sweetener will work fine, adjust as needed as some sweeteners are more or less sweet than others)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a medium sized sauce pan add all the ingredients except for the honey. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook until the mixture has thickened. Stir frequently. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- When the compote is done remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes before adding the honey or other sweetener and stir to combine. Taste for sweetness as it will depend on your rhubarb, the kind of sweetener you use and your own tastes.
- Let the compote cool slightly before pouring it into a mesh strainer over a bowl to drain some of the liquid. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
(Photo Credit: my sister, Jenny Norris – jjnorris.com)